Widgets are very powerful and are extremely easy to use. However their usage is limited to the widget ready areas.
What if you want to embed widget in a Page or Post?
In this post I will cover a plugin which allows you to embed any widget in a Page or Post.
The plugin is AMR Shortcode Widget. Its a very popular plugin with 4.9 rating and has over 100,000 downloads. Here are the instructions to use it:
Install and Activate the plugin
The plugin we are using is AMR Shortcode Widget Plugin
Installing and activating the plugin will add a new “Shortcode Sidebar“.
This sidebar will hold the widgets and their settings. These widgets can then be embedded via a shortcode.
Refer to the following screenshot
Adding a Widget to Page Content
Drag the widgets you want to embed to the Shortcodes Sidebar. These widgets can then be called inside any page or a post.
Here are a few ways to call the widgets
1. Display Widgets by Name
Use [do_widget widgetname] code to add a widget by name. So if you want to display a text widget use this code [do_widget text].
It will display all text widgets contained in the Shortcode Sidebar.
2. Display Widgets by ID
Use [do_widget id=widgetid] to display a widget by ID.
If you want to display a specific widget then this approach will be the best.
3. Display All Widgets in Shortcode Sidebar
You can also display all the widgets contained in Shortcode Sidebar.
Simply use [do_widget_area] shortcode.
Points to Note
The plugin also provide a lot options to customize the widget, For Example
- One can hide the title by using title=flase. Here is the code [do_widget pages title=false]
- One can wrap the title in a html tag. [do_widget pages title=h3] will wrap h3 tag around the widget title
- Once can wrap the complete widget in a HTML Tag. [do_widget “tag cloud” wrap=aside] will wrap the widget in an “aside” html tag.
- One can also add a custom css class to the widget. [do_widget widgetname class=mycssclass] will add the mycssclass to the widget. You can then target this css class to style the widget
Thats it. As you can see , adding a widget to content is really easy. I hope our users will find this tutorial useful.